:{The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.}: ~ Psalm 18:2

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Ball and Chains

I am beginning to realize that I miss Assisi a lot. I miss the carefree culture and the simple way of life. I never used my cell phone... I mean, I really couldn't because it isn't compatible internationally. But I really enjoyed being away from my phone! It was nice to not be constantly checking it and seeing if anyone left me a message or I missed a call. I felt so free and open. No chains could bind me down to... people?
Now I have a new phone and once again, it is right by my side like a faithful companion. Only problem is that I really do not do well with this faithful companion. It's clingy. I can't really deal with that all the time. I have to be independent and free, not attached to my phone.
I used to neglect my phone actually. My manager at my first job would try and call me to let me know about my shifts and I always seemed to have my phone somewhere else. Now that I'm in college though, I always seem to need my phone on me just in case. I mean, I am the one with the car. You never know when someone is going to need a Starbucks run. And in that case, I am not one to argue. That means it's serious.
We are so dependent of technology in America. In Italy I did not feel that pressure to be constantly checking my facebook, email, phone, etc. Ugh... way to much. I got to it when I got to it, no questions asked. Italy was a place to free fall. I could just BE. I could just absorb the culture and soak in the beauty without my phone interrupting me. How fantastic it felt. I do miss Assisi, Rome, Italy in general. And I am going to go back someday. There is no doubt. I love it and a piece of my heart will always belong there. I fell in love the moment I got into Assisi. Absolute love. America is my house, but Italy is my home.

1 comment:

  1. I feel that! I'd give anything to go back. Why must airfare be so expensive?!

    ReplyDelete