:{The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.}: ~ Psalm 18:2

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Don't Call Me Broken

One thing that has been cropping up lately has been the idea of brokenness in Christianity. Everyone is always talking about how broken they are and that they are useless without God and all of these negative things. Our culture is so focused on the negatives and what we need to fix rather than the gifts that come from what we have been through. My biggest disagreement with this is the fact that we are not broken.


We are not broken.

So why does everyone say we are? Why does no one understand that just because they have a couple of scrapes and bruises from the journey doesn't mean they are broken? WE ARE NOT BROKEN.

God does not create broken goods. He creates a soul that gets tossed around but never breaks. Broken things cannot be fixed and cannot be used. You don't see everyone sitting down, unmovable because they are broken. We pick ourselves up and move on with life, knowing that it goes on and God can still use us. Things happen and they are difficult, but that doesn't make us broken.

There is a song that I really love by the Color Morale called Walkers and one line in the song says, "we are not useless, just used." And this is so perfect. We are not useless because God still uses us to do His will, but we are used because He is continually using us and making our lives into something. Most things that we work for are not easy and no matter what, we get our feelings hurt. However, this does not render us useless.

We need to WAKE UP. Get out of the mindset that you are broken. YOU ARE NOT BROKEN.

Christians are usually the ones talking about how broken and useless they are, and it's no wonder we all have poor self esteem. We keep putting this cloud over ourselves giving us a false idea of our potential. We could be capable of so much more if we realized we are not broken. Those that we serve in the missions field or in day to day life do not want to listen to someone who says that they are broken and useless. Would you put any stock in anything someone says if they don't think they have some sort of value? If I wasn't a Christian and someone was telling me that they were broken because they are a sinner and God was using their broken pieces I would not think it would be a good idea to become a Christian.

Give yourself a self-esteem boost and know that you are not broken. You are not useless. You have some scrapes and bruises and you are a little bit used, but you are not broken or useless. God does not create broken things.

No comments:

Post a Comment