:{The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.}: ~ Psalm 18:2

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Changes in History

I am always amazed at how God works in ones life. The things that we learn over time are hard, but rewarding and can change the way we view the world. Over the past six months I have undergone quite a few changes, but I believe they are for the better. The past, present, and future are all overlapping and aligning.

There are negative changes that happen and we begin to wonder why. They come from negative things and we try to step back and consider the source, but cannot find it. When we finally do, it is as if a train has hit us, blindsided us. Out of nowhere we are left to deal with a mound of change that we never saw coming. The only thing we want to do after that is lift our fist and scowl at the monster that just rode us over and left us for dead. But we cannot do that. The train has already left and we are forgotten, left to our own devices.

But out of this train wreck, we are also left with the opportunity to make positive changes. We can reconstruct and heal ourselves so that we can be stronger for the next train that comes around. We begin by taking all the old things that make us weaker or are just excess baggage from the last mistake and we learn from them. The baggage that is weighing us down gets evaluated and removed while the things that made us weak are plucked from off of us. Soon we feel lighter and stronger, knowing that we have made changes that are beneficial to us moving on and living happier lives. And as we continue with this healthy habit of stripping ourselves of these things, we feel the quality of our lives grow to be something worthwhile.

God uses these train wrecks to allow us to build ourselves back up with the tools He has given us and with His helping hands. He understands our pain and He understands our desire to change. He places the negative in our lives so that we can make positive changes out of those experiences. The dark is used so that we can see the light. Pull back the blinds and look at the sun shining through your windows. You can't live in a dark house because then you will never be able to see the mess you are in because you couldn't see anything. When you let God shine into your life and open up your house to Him, you will be able to see where you went wrong in the dark and fix it. And the more you mull around and sulk about it, the slower the process will be. God made our faces so that it is easier to smile for a reason.

Through the changes I have made in the past six months, I feel like a new person. Happiness is not a difficult thing to feel anymore and joy is a constant companion. God has given me reason to make changes and I have pulled back all of my blinds so that His light can be constantly shining in. I can see the messes left from past mistakes and bad memories. I am literally cleaning out my closets of anything that reminds me of those unhappy times and making room for less clutter and an opportunity to fit things that will remind me of my newfound joy. I am making room for God's new blessings. And in getting rid of the unhappy things, I am able to allow myself to forget how I used to feel. It opens me up to being happy all the time.

Change is a beautiful thing and I have always been open to it, but now more than ever I am ready for change. This is a lifestyle, not a habit that I will drop. I am enjoying the changes I am making and I can feel my quality of life becoming all that I ever wanted it to be. God has given me new opportunities and I am ready to take them on because my mind is fresh and de-cluttered from what used to occupy the space. I can focus on what is important now and see all the blessings that surround me. Change is beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment