:{The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.}: ~ Psalm 18:2

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Foot Washing and How to Lead

Have you ever had your feet washed? It is a humbling experience and it takes a lot for someone to get down and do that task. Jesus did it, though, so what is holding us back from getting on our knees and humbling ourselves that way? As a leader, this was all brought to the surface through a conference I just attended for leaders at the college I attend. It was eye opening to realize just what it took to complete this job and what exactly it entailed.
When washing feet, especially back in the days of Christ, it was a grimy, dirty job. The men had dirty feet from all the dust in the area and it was a busy time of year, being Passover. The population was all of a sudden enlarged and needless to say, there was no plumbing... gross. Feet back then were really nasty business and usually the person who had to lowest social standing in the household was to do this odd-job. We also know that Christ should have considered himself of highest standing. However, our daring Lord got down on his knees and humbled himself to the lowliest of tasks... washing the feet of his disciples.
Peter refused at first saying to his Lord that he wanted to switch positions and wash the feet of Jesus instead. Jesus did not accept this and said to him "Unless I wash you, you have no part of me." (John 13:8 NIV) Jesus was the greatest leader of all time and here he is bowing down and cleaning the most unclean part of the body. Jesus goes on to say, "I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them." (John 13:15 - 17 NIV)
As a leader of multiple things on campus, I have to humble myself and get on my knees to wash the feet of those I serve. I am not higher than anyone else and I do not have any more worth or importance than the person sitting next to me. Lowering myself to the lowliest of positions should not phase me. I want to emulate Christ in all I do, and I will strive to humble myself as he did. Leading is not always about being the voice of authority. It has to do with sacrifice and being able to set aside what you want and allow yourself to fade into the background. Leading is not glamorous. It is hard work, but most rewarding when done right. When you make yourself lower than you really are, you know what it is to be a leader. When you can humble yourself as Christ did and do the tasks that no one else wants to do, then you know how to be a true leader.

No comments:

Post a Comment