:{The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.}: ~ Psalm 18:2

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Leadership and Serving

What does it mean to be a leader? To have power and brawn? To be in charge of it all and take everything on your shoulders so that the people around you will admire you for your abilities?
Leadership is none of those things. It is a position of servanthood, a position to give. A leader sacrifices themselves for the people they work with and for. You take on the job of getting dirty and losing yourself a bit for the good of others.
I have learned these things in my experience as a leader and it is a humbling fact that I am not in a place to be powerful, but to be at the bottom. I have to take on the things no one else does through my leadership and I love it. I give to others and share with them what I can. Through servanthood and letting others shine, I get to sit back and smile, knowing that I have helped someone else gain. I am not the face of what I do, Christ is. Christ gave me this desire and He gave me these loves and I am thankful. Being a leader in Christ puts a certain tone to leadership and I am able to stand back and know whom I am serving. I do not serve myself. That would be boring.
I serve my God and I serve His people. I give because I am called to and I love it. There is nothing like the joy of giving and nothing like the joy of serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment