:{The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.}: ~ Psalm 18:2

Monday, March 28, 2011

Light

Mississippi. That place has so much potential. It has so much to offer and so many things that it can do. The people there are amazing and they are kind. It is a shame that others from out of state do not want to go and help their brothers and sisters there who are fighting poverty and racism. But there will be a day when those things are not as prevalent and when the state is united and flourishing. This beautiful place can be so much more beautiful.
The people in the South, are first off a whole lot nicer than people in the North can be. People in the North do not wave to cars that drive by just because they can. There has to be a reason, and I am not entirely sure why. People in the South are friendlier and chattier because they aren't in a rush to get to the next warmest place and they are perfectly content with sitting outside on their porch with their neighbors, simply talking to one another. There is not as much of a drive to have an agenda as there is in the North where I feel as though I am always scrambling to get this, that and the other thing done. I considered getting a blackberry today for when I graduate so that when I have a career I can check my email on the fly. I doubt that people really do that as much in the South as they do up here. In New England I feel as though everyone has an iPhone or some other variation of the smartphone. I always swore that I would stick to simply phones, but now the whole data plan idea is tempting because it would be handy in a busy Northern living style. However, in the South I might not even consider that option.
The South does however, still struggle with racism and that is not something that is acceptable. People are people. No matter what their skin color, they all bleed red. We all have the same make-up, we just have different skin tones. And if that is reason enough to hate someone, then I am really confused. Would that mean that someone with blond hair has every right to hate someone with brown hair? Does that mean that it is acceptable for someone with brown eyes to hate someone with green or blue eyes? It is so silly to me that people can hate others just because of their skin tone.
With that, there are many ways that the South has positives and negatives. There is need everywhere, North or South. I want people to see the potential everywhere because in all the places that we look down on, there is potential. We should not look down on anyone that literally cannot help their living situation. I want to create hope and ability in those people because I believe that they have so much potential. Everyone has talents and skills that are unlike any other person. Everyone is extremely blessed with a gift that God has given them and I want to help others cultivate those gifts and let those people flourish because of their own talents and not mine or anyone else's. Go light your world and have someone else light their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment