:{The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.}: ~ Psalm 18:2

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Mississippi Journal (3.17.2011)

Today was so productive! We got so many projects in and finished, it was incredible. First, we went to Cora and Alice's house to finish painting Cora's bedroom. The room is now a lovely light blue and it looks like a completely new room. We bought her new window shades as well, because hers were dirty and dusty. The room is brighter and more welcoming and I really hope she loves it. We also brought them over a bag of GORP (trail mix), which they loved.

After we finished at their house, we came back to In His Steps to work on the shrubs a little bit. And after lunch we worked outside of In His Steps a little more by moving the excess dirt from the sidewalk to a wet spot beside the driveway. Nick and I were working there are first and he had his shoes off in the muddy water. It looked a lot easier than trying to avoid getting my feet too dirty. So, I also took off my shoes and I must say that it was quite liberating! It was really squishy but I was able to just move freely and get the job done more efficiently. When Caroline saw us with our shoes off she decided that she wanted to help us spread the dirt with our shoes off. The three of us had a great time and we really had fun and some fun laughs.

When we were done with that project, we went to the Saw Mill Quarters to see about filling up some rough patches at the basketball court. We got six packs of instant asphalt and patched up the holes while some of the local kids watched. They were really excited about us fixing their court and asked if we were going to come back. Luckily, we are going back tomorrow (we actually went Saturday, not Friday) to hang out with some of the kids, which will be really fun.

After patching, we went back to In His Steps to finish the shrubbery and kill the project. While I was spreading dirt into the old holes, I got stung by either a bee or a wasp. Ah well. It really hurt, but I put ice on it and was fine.

Tonight, we had a devotional about acceptance and there was a lot of really good discussion on the topic. I was actually surprised by that because of how tired everyone was. But they were really bringing up some good points about acceptance and what a Christian should think about it. They mostly talked about homosexuality rather than race and accepting people of different cultures and ethnic backgrounds. But all in all, it was a good talk.

Yesterday, Jasper had mentioned an internship with In His Steps to the group and I am seriously considering it. I could be down here for about three weeks in the summer and help the groups that are down here, which would be amazing. It would be great for the Kingdom and my minor as well as being good practice and experience for working in the missions field. The experience and exposure would be great for tough missions work because much of Mississippi is either equal to or worse third world countries in some places in terms of poverty. Knowing this fact has shocked me and really made me more passionate about working in this state. There is so much to work with. And Jasper was saying that a gentleman from India came to see In His Steps and said that the American poor are worse off than in India! He said that the American poor have no hope, and that is why they are worse off. This was really bothersome for me and I want to be a part of a change in Mississippi. The internship would be the perfect opportunity to do that and let God work in me for the greater good of the people here. The people have more to offer than what they are able to give. I want to enable them to do more and show their potential and help them reach goals. Hopefully I will be able to do the internship this summer and come down and help Carolyn and Jasper. We shall see!

:{Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.}: ~ Ephesians 4:2-3



No comments:

Post a Comment