:{The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.}: ~ Psalm 18:2

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Molto Bella

Assisi still surprises me with all it's beauty. I am currently (I am just a huge liar today... I'm not in my room anymore) sitting in my windowsill looking (well, not now because I'm writing) at the beautiful landscape. The sun isn't even near setting and the sky is already a beautiful shade of periwinkle. The mountains just look like shadows in the background; like guardians to these little towns. There is a large cluster of buildings and homes a slight distance away and I am still unsure of what they are. All I know is that they can probably see Assisi in all it's grandeur up here on it's hill.
The weather is pleasantly beautiful (not anymore, it's thundering) and comfortable (well, now it's wet). And I have no allergies here! The birds always sing (haha, now they are crying) and the mood is always content... (it probably still is). It truly is lovely and I know I won't want to leave this paradise I stumbled upon.
It is amazing how at peace I feel here. After all the stress of school, I thought I would be even more stressed with a four credit class in two weeks. Maybe I already found my Italian-wear. If so, that was easy. This is such an enjoyable place. As I mentioned earlier, we got to see a few of the ancient documents kept in the Francescan library. It was amazing to see those old books, espeically since books were so precious back then. There was an entire collection of the books of the Bible, which was amazing. There were so many and they were so beautiful. The gentleman showing us the books had to wear gloves so as not to damage the paper with the sweat from his fingers. All of this history so close was so intriguing. I could not believe that I was in the presence of such artifacts. Especially an ancient copy of the Bible. I have certainly been getting some good use out of my Italian course! It's exciting to get to know a language and then visit the country and use what you've learned. I am so grateful. Some of the people in the group will ask me how to say certain things and that's always fun. I like helping them speak the language. I'm certainly not fluent, but I can get by.
This trip, so far, is very exciting and I am really glad that I came. I'm really enjoying learning about my culture and the history of Assisi. And I've only been here two days! Imagine what will happen over these next two weeks! I will become a true Italian! What a treasure chest I have come across. Who'd have thought that I would be here now. My eyes have been opened and they are still searching for more beauty, more excitement, and more Italy. I know I will find just that in the days to come and I truly cannot wait.
Buona Sera!
Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment